Social Media Guidelines
These guidelines pertain to University of Maryland faculty, staff and their agents, which may include students, who are publishing and commenting on social media on behalf of a UMD-affiliated social media account. These guidelines do not apply to personal social media accounts that are set up by individuals for personal use. For the purposes of this policy, "social media" refers to interactive digital communities for online networking and commentary, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter and YouTube. For the purposes of this policy, the following definitions apply:
- Official/authenticated university accounts: social media accounts maintained by the Office of Marketing and Communications' University Communications team that represent the universitywide academic community and not a particular school, college, department or unit.
- UMD-affiliated social media accounts: social media accounts maintained by a school, college, department or unit that represent that university component and not the universitywide academic community.
- Personal social media accounts: social media accounts set up and maintained by individuals for personal use. These are not affiliated with the university, and statements made on these accounts do not reflect the views or values of the university.
Social Media Values
The University of Maryland's social media community values and promotes academic expression and responsible behavior.
The university recognizes the tremendous opportunity and responsibility in using social media to connect directly with prospective and current students, faculty, staff, alums, parents, partners, supporters, media and community members.
The university believes transparency, respectful engagement and free expression are essential. The university counts the diversity and inclusiveness of its community among its greatest strengths, and, as a result, our community reflects a diverse set of values and viewpoints. The university believes that all users should communicate with care. The university is committed to protecting the privacy of members of its community.
UMD faculty and staff are cutting-edge experts in their fields, and are encouraged to broadly share research findings and expert opinions on social media. As a leading public research institution, the university supports the myriad voices of its faculty and staff and full respects freedom of speech and academic commentary. Academia is a place where civil debate over ideas, healthy feedback and the diverse viewpoints of others are welcome and encouraged.
Social Media Guidelines
The official/authenticated university accounts include:
- Facebook: facebook.com/UnivofMaryland
- Twitter: twitter.com/UofMaryland and twitter.com/umdrightnow
- Instagram: instagram.com/univofmaryland
- Snapchat: snapchat.com/add/univofmaryland
- YouTube: youtube.com/user/UMD2101
In addition to these accounts, there are a large number of UMD-affiliated social media accounts currently in use and managed by faculty, staff or students who serve in a communications role for their school, college, department or unit.
Anyone who manages a UMD-affiliated social media account should adhere to the following:
For questions regarding these guidelines, social media platforms or the university's social media strategy, please contact the university's social media team at email@example.com.
Upholding the Guidelines
These guidelines pertain to University of Maryland faculty, staff and students who are publishing and commenting on social media on behalf of a UMD-affiliated social media account. These guidelines do not apply to personal social media accounts that are set up by individuals for personal use.
In the event that a UMD-affiliated account does not adhere to these guidelines, the University Communications team will work in partnership with the account administrators.